Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Life of Moments

I just voted for the first time in my life. Political commentary aside, I've seen a lot of hype about that first moment of political participation.

However, throughout the course of my life, I've learned not to put a lot of stock in a simple moment. Time after time, people tell me that a certain moment will be amazing, incredible, or even life-changing.

More than not, upon reaching these moments, I've realized just how over-hyped they were. I believe that the value of an experience has no confine of time. The derivatives are infinite. Attempting to place inordinate enthusiasm on a specific moment is selling short the overall experience.

Here are a few examples of the moments I am speaking of -
  • First solo flight
  • Getting laid for the first time
  • Initiation into a fraternity
  • First time voting
  • Skydiving
  • First sight of (any major piece of art or landmark)
  • Religious transformation
The list goes on....

Ultimately, I don't want to live my life always looking forward to a moment in the future, or finding solace in a moment in the past. Whether it be saying "I do", reaching a seven figure bank account, having a kid... moments are meaningless to me.

Rather, I will endeavor to find value in overarching experience, to live life as a moment.

1 comment:

j said...

how very eckhart tolle of you :)